Saturday, April 07, 2007

A MUST READ!



This book a must read for single-parent mom of boys and for anyone who works with preteen boys that live in single-parent-mom house. In this book, author Donald Miller, reflects on his own life of growing-up with out a dad. He talks candidly about the effects it had on him and the struggles and trials that he has gone through.

Many people do not understand the power and effect of having an involved dad can have on a young man. When I was in undergraduate school, I remember hearing in one of my counseling classes, my professor make a statement that the father is the filter of the home. The father is the one who controls what words are used, what entertainment is aloud in the home, and etc... What he was essentially saying is that the father is the one who will ultimately dictate what the morals and values will be in the home - and when the father's morals and values are out of whack or absent, the kids (Especially boys)will also take the shape or lack-of-shape as that of the father's.

This book will help you be prepared to better help your son, or the young man that you minister to. It will help you understand his thought process and decision making and it will help you understand his heart! I stumbled upon this book last year and read it in a couple of days. It made me laugh and it made me bawl my eyes out (People who know me, know that I don't cry easily). My wife also read it with me and said that through this book, she can understand me better. This book has helped me on my own personal journey and has also helped me in my ministry. I am deeply grateful for Donald Miller writing this book...

I must add hear that my senior minister at the church I minister at told me that we must remember that just because there is a dad in the house doesn't necessarily mean that he is there.

Joe

No comments: